When protecting a whole sheet, Google Sheets locks every single cell. But if you want to grant edit access to only a few cells, you can specify which ones are editable. Jump back to Data > Protected Sheets and Ranges from the toolbar, then from the pane that opens, click on the protected sheet rule you want to edit.
What does it mean to protect a sheet in Google Sheets?
Protect a sheet or range. If you don’t want people to change the content in a spreadsheet, you can protect it. This shouldn’t be used as a security measure. People can print, copy, paste, and import and export copies of a protected spreadsheet. Only share spreadsheets with people you trust.
How do you unlock protected sheets Google Sheets?
How to Unlock a Locked Cell
- Click the Data option in the menu.
- Click on ‘Protect sheets and ranges’. …
- Click on the cell/range/sheet option that you want to unlock for everyone.
- Click on Delete icon which is next to the ‘Enter a description’ box.
How do you remove protection from Google Sheets?
Click the tab’s drop-down arrow and choose “Protect”. Now the “Protect” sidebar will open ready for you to protect a sheet but you want to “un-protect” so click “Cancel”. Now you will see the protection rule for that sheet and now you click the trash-can icon to remove the protection for that sheet.
How do I hide a sheet in Google Sheets from another user?
Either right-click on the tab name or go to the tools menu and click “Protect sheet”. Select Sheet, Hidden and click on “Set permissions”. Here set the protect sheet editing permissions as below. Now right-click on the sheet tab and choose “Hide Sheet”.
Can you protect cells in Google Sheets?
Fire up your browser, open a Google Sheet that has cells you want to protect, and then select the cells. With the cells selected, open the “Data” menu and then click “Protect Sheets and Ranges.” … Here, you can enter a brief description and then click “Set Permissions” to customize the cell’s protection permissions.
How do I change permissions in Google Sheets?
You can do this by going to Data > Protected Sheets and Ranges > Sheet > Set Permissions, and in the following window, choose who you want to have editing permissions (optional). Remember that the Editing permission can be given or revoked in the Custom option.
How do you protect sheets except certain cells?
Protect a Worksheet Except for Individual Cells
- Click the box to the left of column A (in between column A and row 1). …
- Right click the same box – select “Format Cells” then click the “Protection” tab.
- Make sure the “Locked” check box is checked.
- Click “OK” These first few steps just made sure that all cells are locked.
How do I protect my workbook?
Protect an Excel file
- Select File > Info.
- Select the Protect Workbook box and choose Encrypt with Password.
- Enter a password in the Password box, and then select OK.
- Confirm the password in the Reenter Password box, and then select OK.
How do I convert XLSX to Sheets?
If your Excel XLS is already in Google Drive, it is easy to convert it to Google Sheets. First, right-click on the file in Google Drive. Next, choose Open with and then choose Google Sheets. Your spreadsheet will now be converted to Google Sheets.